INFORMATION FOR THE BAPTISM OF CHILDREN
AT OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE CHURCH
Congratulations on bringing your child to Christ in the Sacrament of Baptism! Thank you for allowing our parish to be a part of the ceremony! We have some requirements and things you have to do, but please don’t let these things take away from the joy of your decision to bring your child to Our Lord! We are delighted to be able to be a part of this.
If your child is 7 or older please call Hilda Tapia, (619) 233-3838 Ext. 217. Likewise, please contact her for the baptism of adults and teenagers since we have special programs for them.
These are the requirements for Baptism (Children under 7 years of age)
- Reside within our parish boundaries or
- be registered parishioners or
- actively assist within the parish.
- Both parents or parent, if single parent, must attend a baptismal talks (or get-togethers)
- The first talk is about 2 hours long
- The scheduling for the second talk will be given at the end of the first talk.
- Sponsors are encouraged to attend the second talk.
The Baptismal talks in English for the parents is usually on the second Sunday of the month* at 2:00 PM. So please plan on joining us on one of those Sunday get-togethers, but let us know beforehand that you are coming. Try to get the paperwork done before the get-together.
Even if you want the Baptism in English, please feel free to go the Spanish class if you know Spanish.
How to Register for the Baptismal Talks
Please make sure to decide on the date for the Baptism of your child at least 6 weeks before the date of the Baptism. After you have decided on the date on which you would like to baptize your child (visit our Spanish Baptism Page – scroll to the bottom) please bring the following documents to the parish office:
- Your child’s birth certificate
- Registration Form for Baptism (click to follow the link)
Dates for English Baptisms:
Sunday, April 30, 2017 – 2:00 PM
Sunday, May 28, 2017 – 2:00 PM
Sunday, June 25, 2017 – 2:00 PM
Sunday, July 30, 2017 – 2:00 PM
Requirements for Godparents (Sponsors):
- The godparents do need to be Catholic, at least 16 years old, have their Sacraments of Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation.
- If there are two godparents, one must be a man and one a woman.
- If a godparent is married, he or she must be in a marriage recognized as valid by the Catholic Church.
- People who are living with someone else in a romantic relationship cannot be godparents.
- If the people you want to be godparents do not meet these criteria, ask us about the possibility of a “padrino o madrina de honor.”
- Godparents are welcomed to attend the Baptismal talks, but it is not a requirement.
- We ask for a monetary donation of whatever amount you may be able to contribute either for the ceremony or for the baptismal talks. We recommend a donation of $50-75. This is simply a recommendation—there is no cost.
A couple more things: Please complete the form with key information that you may download here or get at the office and we may ask you to bring a letter from your local parish giving us permission to baptize your child. We don’t need the letter if you live within our parish’s boundaries or are registered in our parish. If you live outside the parish’s boundaries and are not registered here, then your local parish is responsible for your “spiritual care,” and we have to get their permission to baptize your child. Registering here with us removes that requirement.
We hope to see you and your child soon!